Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sitz's First Review: Get Low

Actually, Deuce, I like the way you review movies, if it's like the movie diary thing you showed me. I looked again at what you emailed me a while back, and it was mostly comments, but without the "extra" stats like ratings, years, if you'd seen it before, etc. (By the way, I think the stats are cool). I tend to NOT write reviews sometimes because I think they need to be big and meaningful, and it's hard to live up to one's own expectations. Anyhow, a short paragraph will likely suffice for 95% of what I want to talk about, even if I do write five paragraphs. But that's just how I am sometimes: wordy.

This poster is actually nothing like the movie. Well, except the beard.

Anyhow, we watched Get Low tonight. I'd gotten it from Paul for Christmas this past year but we'd not watched it yet. For shame! It was very good. Bill Murray has always been one of my favorite actors, and he was great in this. I've never been much of a fan of Robert Duvall, but he was a good lead in this movie. I won't talk too much about the plot, since you can see it if you want, but it does involve the idea of a living funeral, which I think is a pretty cool idea. I guess on the whole I'd give the movie a 7 or 8 out of 10.

What have you been watching? Reading? Listening to? I'm hoping we can also talk about other kinds of things going on besides just movies. As you said, it can be a sort of way to talk about what's going on in life, too. 

Good to see you here!

6 comments:

  1. I also do not seek out Robert Duvall, however, I just watched Apocalypse Now last week... Extremely memorable casting for him there, especially in the Redux.

    Speaking of Bill Murray, I can't wait to see Moonrise Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot you'd not seen that--I really liked it! Although Murray plays a pretty small part. Still, I think it may be the best Wes Anderson movie... or at least the most Wes Anderson Wes Anderson movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Jake also said that it was his most Wes Anderson-like film, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's an old adage I recall: "As Jake goes, so goes the nation."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I like that adage, Sitzman. I'm glad you felt the same about Moonrise Kingdom. I kept thinking "if someone isn't a fan of Wes Anderson, this would be the worst movie ever made!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen Get Low yet, but I still want to. I think Robert Duvall is very overrated as an actor. I once saw a roundtable discussion with him, Gosling, James Franco and others and he seemed like an old man out of touch with everything. He didn't know who David Fincher was and kept mentioning what a horrible director Kubrick was because he took so many takes. He called him the "actor's enemy" and said his friend Marlon Brando hated working with him on the several films he made with him. Brando isn't even in ONE Kubrick movie, let alone several (rumor has it that Kubrick directed parts of One-Eyed Jacks, if that counts).
    Anywhoo, Duvall is great in Apocalypse Now, especially during the part when he is giving a Vietcong water and forgets him instantly when he hears the famous surfer Lance is there.

    ReplyDelete